Maybe.
The decluttering project got me to some file folders full of genealogy research. I spent years dedicated to learning about my family history. I gave up when I got back to Polish Catholic church records from the 1700’s. Before the church began using standard forms for recording births, deaths, marriages, etc., records were written in paragraph form. Some priests had legible handwriting, but many did not. No two priests use exactly the same verbiage and the writing often seemed scribbled. Even using a Polish/English dictionary I needed a cryptographer. I gave it up in frustration.
Unlike most genealogists, I was focused on history. Many
people are excited to find living distant relatives. Me, not so much; I want to
go back in time as far as I can. It is interesting when I get a message about a
DNA match but not interesting enough to follow up. A 9th cousin
twice removed is a pretty distant relative.
But, fact is that I am a big picture person who gets easily
bored with minute details. I tend to work fast which can lead to errors and
omissions. Looking at these files has made me wonder whether I actually
recorded all the information I found. This makes me want to go back and review
my tree.
Later. I’m still decluttering.
No comments:
Post a Comment