Sunday, January 12, 2020

The DNA Explosion








When did humans first wear garments?  How long ago did humans drink milk? Inquiring minds want to know.

Most of us look to DNA to learn about family and ancestry. But scientists of many disciplines are studying DNA, learning about the past, and making remarkable discoveries  Paleo(fill in the blank) research has found the residue in ancient pottery indicates that we drank milk perhaps 6,000 years ago.

DNA found in dental plaque from fossil teeth can indicate ancient diets and even diseases. Ancient seeds found in the dusty basements of museums are rich in information.

My first thought is that I’d like to be a participant in some of that research, but I’m a big picture person who’d chafe at the slow pace and miniscule details in laboratories. I like being on the outside where I can read the results of research from all disciplines.


No comments: